Monday, 31 May
Another day of paperwork started with an eye exam – necessary to get a UN driving permit. Though having seen the driving here in Kinshasa, I am not sure that is such a good idea. After this I was introduced to my section – the Department of Political Affairs. I met some of my colleagues and had a look around my new home. After this I filled in and presented more forms and chased things like my daily water allowance and a mobile phone account as well as placing requests for stationary, a computer and a radio. For lunch I ate at the UN café, which makes a great ile flottant - yum!
I was given a mountain of notes to read on the situation here. The office is quite busy as a cease-fire in part of the country has been broken in the east of the country. I expect to be posted out to one of the 5 country sectors next week to do my job of reporting on regional political affairs. Though, as this is my first time doing the job, I expect to go to a quiet post. This evening I received the agenda for tomorrow – a series of briefings on the country situation.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home