Tuesday, 1 June
I arrived early at the office and had to wait quite a while before doing anything constructive. I expect to stay in Kinshasa for a couple of weeks before being deployed to the field. Most of this time will be taken up by paper work (known as check-in). After a briefing on the various forms it was time to get my ID card. However, unfortunately the card-making machine was not working and nothing else could happen without the card. So I spent most of the day reading my book - Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, a relevant and recommended book for any traveller in this part of the World.
As part of the induction process I went to see the Programme Officer, the Security Section and the Medical Section – where I got some malaria tablets that have strange side effects! I am still to see the Finance Section and will have to revisit Security and Medical tomorrow. Whilst going between the various offices I met a Romanian naval officer and so I had a chance to practice Romanian again, which was fun! Today the city seemed much busier than at the weekend. It felt safer to go for a walk - so I wandered around a safe area of town close to the UN compound before stopping for dinner.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home