Friday, March 18, 2005

Friday, 18 March

Here is a picture of me (when I was 19 - though I haven't changed much)! It was taken by my photographer friend Ogy. I do not have many pictures of myself and I am quite camera shy but this picture is not too bad (apparently). This is from my passport - people tell me that it looks very "your man in"... so here seems to be the right place for it.



Today I have been busy looking for a new job and reading a 91-page contract for a job with the U.S Agency for International Development that I have been put on the shortlist for. I am looking for something a bit closer to home than last time - though I am not too hopeful... I seem to have become pidgeonholed as an African conflict specialist!!

While I write I am listening to piano rags by Scott Joplin played by Joshua Rifkin. These are some of the best interpretations around. I like the music for its simplicity and catchiness. You can listen to the 'Maple Leaf Rag' on this link (if you have RealPlayer):
http://music.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/
9905_ragtime/rafiles/9905_mapleleafrag_28.ram

This is a recording of a piano roll made by Joplin himself in 1916 shortly before his death. As such it is a unique record of his work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home