Friday, December 21, 2007

November & December in Paris

On December 15 I found myself at a Serbian show at the Bourse de Commerce, near to Les Halles in Paris. The show was small, but good - especially the free slivovica (plum brandy)! Though, I was more interested by the building - I've walked past it many times, but never been inside... as you will see from the pictures below, it's well worth visiting.


..Bojan Z - I've never heard of him, but the music was quite good... though I think I prefer Serbian folk music with my slivovica...




On 13 December, David Barnes organised a Spoken Word poetry night at the Pères Populaires bar, out in the 20th Arrondissement. The night was well attended and the bar ambience good.


Christmas in Paris is nice because there are even more lights in the city of lights!


Notre Dame always looks amazing.. they had some good architects in the 12th Century...


13 December is Saint Lucia's Day and is widely celebrated by the Swedish. In Paris there are numerous St. Lucia celebration. I went to one at the Cité Universitaire. A choir from the Swedish Church sung several traditional Swedish hymns. Afterwards we drank glögg (mulled wine) and ate gingerbread biscuits.. typically Swedish.


At the Canadian Cultural Centre, I saw a great concert by the Duo Campion Cachon. They played piano music for four hands - i.e. Two pianists, one piano. They played a nice selection of music, including pieces by the eccentric French pianist, Erik Satie. Click here to listen to a piece from La belle excentrique (1920).


Here's a picture I took of the Christmas lights while walking in the Marais...


David also organises poetry nights at the Ogre à Plumes bar, near to Parmentier metro. The readings take place in their underground theatre...


Here are some pictures that I took whilst walking along the Champs Elysée. The first picture is of the Hôtel de Crillon, a well-known hotel.:


..and here are some pictures looking up and down the Chanps Elysée - at the bottom of the avenue is the ferris wheel and at the top, the Arc de Triomphe....








The Serbian Cultural Centre organise a lot of nice events such as film screenings, concerts and exhibitions. The Centre is located just opposite the Pompidou Centre. Here is the Serbian jazz pianist Miloš Petrović in concert...


Here are Gideon and Rob at Gideon's place... he lives in a nice apartment near to Père Lachaise cemetery.




Just before going to London one Friday evening, I went to an exxibition opening at a little art gallery close to Bastille... it was a nice event with a large space on three levels. There was a band and a great bar!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home