Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Sunday, 6 June

It has now been four days since I last left the hotel. Today things seem back to normal - Sunday is a quiet day in Kinshasa. I decided to make a trip to the bakery - only 50 metres from the hotel, just to find it closed! I have really had enough of the hotel menu - mostly chicken and something or other!! It is quite expensive at $10 for a meal. The best meal is breakfast - coffee, omlette, bread, jam and orange juice. In the evening a colleague and I ventured out to a near-by fast-food restaurant where we were able to get a kebab and go to the neighbouring internet café - a change of scenery at least. Out on the streets there is a very high police presence and some signs of damage from the protests - though this has not changed the appearance of the city as it was in a mess before! We were told that the funerals of two protesters would take place on Monday and that there may be more protests next week. The wait and see situation will continue into next week. This evening we were informed that the protesters had postponed the protests in favour of negotiations with President Kabila. However, we were advised to remain inside and await further instructions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home