Friday, 28 March
This morning whilst going to work on the metro I missed my stop and travelled all the way to the end of the line, so engrossed was I in my book (and listing to my iPod)! Or maybe I just had a subconscious desire to miss work :-)
The book I was reading was White Eagles over Serbia - a spy novel by Lawrence Durrell. Lately I have been going through a phase of interest in former Yugoslavia, having just finished an excellent history of Bosnia by Noel Malcolm. I'm also going through a phase of reading Durrell. I recently read Esprit de Corps - a loosely autobiographical account of his time working at the British Embassy in Belgrade. Next on my reading list is Justine, the first book of the Alexandria Quartet, widely regarded as Durrell's masterpiece. his books bring back some nice memories of my own travels in former Yugoslavia and my experiences as a trainee at the British Embassy in Belgrade.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home