Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Wednesday, 23 June

I finally got my internet connection established so I have been able to post some updates - as well as listen live to TSF and Nostalgie radio from Paris. Beni is suprisingly advanced - internet connection, mobile phone coverage, satellite TV (to watch England play in Portugal) as well as a plentiful supply of items that we take for granted in Western Europe. Beni is a coffee producing region, although it is better known as a gold town. Gold is the main reason why people are fighting to gain control of this region - as well as various ethnic conflicts. However, at the moment the town seems peaceful. It is the surrounding region where the problems are. The government have sent 9000 troops to defend the area and the UN have made a request for international support for the provision of more peace-keeping troops. At least if trouble comes this way I am not too far from the Ugandan border...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are they civilised enough to sell Pimms in any of the bars? - Mr. B.

11:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home