Sunday, 17 October
Here I am back in Africa and finally updating my journal. I left Congo for a much needed holiday on 16 September and got back last Monday. From now on I will only write every few days as even here in Beni thing are generally quiet. I am currently working on a special entry containing many photographs from my holiday - there are many more than I have been able to show, so I have been selective.
It was great to see so many friends and to make many new friends during my travels in France, Italy and England - I was sorry not to have more time to see even more of you. I will be back again around Christmas/New Year. For how long will depend on whether I renew my contract which currently expires at the end of December. At the moment this is a 50/50 problem for me - I can easily renew my contract, however, I am not sure that I will for several reasons.
The case against renewing my contract takes into consideration the following main points:
- I live and work very far from home with only irregular chances to come home to see my friends and family (yes, I miss you all a lot)! The cost of the air ticket back to Europe is prohibitive at around $US1000. Going home is only worthwhile when I accumulate 1 month of holiday (which happens every three months).
- As you can see from my current dilemma, I am currently working on short-term contracts - it is possible to continue on this basis for a maximum of 8 years. The UN offer the carrot of a permanent contract subject to their needs. However, the department that I currently work for - the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO), means that even if I am offered a permanent contract I will only ever be sent to unstable countries.
- The work is often frustrating which I blame on poor management within the UN DPKO - especially here in Congo. This has very far-reaching consequenses. There is an unbelievable amount of politics within the UN which means that internal problems take away from organisational effectiveness. Many staff here are only here for the salary and do not care too much about the work at hand - which I perceive as a critical flaw in an organisation that has significant power and influence in the country (and in the World). However, I am told that not all UN peacekeeping missions are run so badly. I also have my own experiences of working in some UN specialised agencies which were very productive.
The case for renewing my contract is:
- The work is interesting and I have spent a long time studing and gaining experience to do this sort of work. The work conditions are good: 4 month's holiday per year; good pay; good resources etc.
- The experience that I am gaining is very useful even if I choose to work outside the UN system - the longer I stay the better.
- At present the UN are only offering 3 month contract extentions as the mission mandate has only been extended until the end of March 2005. However, in reality the UN mission here will continue until atleast the end of 2005. For me this means that I can renew my contract and leave after only 3 months instead of the usual 6.
- I do not have any other definite plans for if I leave the mission - although I am looking at other options.
So here are the main points. The UN are giving me until 10 November to come to a decision. I am also negotiating with some potential employers whose decisions will help my choice!
Any ideas? Constructive advise is welcome in helping me come to a decision...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home