Thursday, November 11, 2004

Thursday, 11 November

I have been back in Congo for one month already - although it does not feel like it. My time here is going very quickly.

Today I sent my letter informing of my wish to end my contract - later, as I was cooking dinner I got a phone call from the Political Affairs Department to find out why I had chosen to leave and to see what they could do to get me to stay! Well, my decision is made...

Today the office was visited by a big United Nations military delegation - including two of my compatriots. I am the only Englishman working for the UN in North Kivu, so it is not so often that I get to see other English.

As I write, I am listening to live French radio - it is good to hear from the outside World and not to have to listen to Congolese music!

You too can listen on: http://cache.yacast.fr/V4/nostalgie/
microplayer/nostalgie_micro_main.html?id=nostalgie


This week I received an invitation from the British Embassy to a concert in Kinshasa (almost half a continent away from where I work)! The invitation arrived nearly a month late - better late than never... anyway, it was good to receive a letter marked 'On Her Majesty's Service'. Good to know HMQE2 has not forgotten me out here in the jungle!

Yesterday I bought a couple of Congolese sculptures - I am busy accumulating souvenirs of my stay here, though I don't know how they will fit in to the decor of my home...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home